Okay I have to say at the start: I do find it funny to call a dish with a name which doesn’t contain the product itself? You don’t follow me? Well this lovely vegan gluten-free cheesecake doesn’t contain any cheese (obviously since it’s vegan!). But of course I know the message: it looks and feels a bit like it. In the end it doesn’t really matter. This cake is simply divine and so fast to make since it doesn’t require any baking (raw!). I have to thank my friends Jess (vegan) and Susi (gluten intolerant) for challenging me when they come around. I wouldn’t have tried this recipe.
9-inch (23 cm) springform pan
4 cups raw cashews, soaked (1 L)
1 cup filtered water (250 mL)
1 cup raw agave nectar (250 mL)
1 cup melted coconut oil (250 mL)
1 tbsp raw vanilla extract (15 mL) (next time I will try a vanilla pod)
2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (10 mL)
2 cups whole raw pecans (500 mL)
1/4 cup chopped pitted soft dates (60 mL)
1/2 tsp fine sea salt (2 mL)
1. To soak the cashews for this recipe, cover with 8 cups (2 L) water. Set aside for 1 hour. Drain, discarding soaking water, and rinse under cold running water until the water runs clear.
2. In a high-powered blender, combine soaked cashews, water, agave nectar, coconut oil, vanilla and lemon juice. Blend at high speed until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
3. In a food processor, pulse pecans, dates and salt until smooth (no large pieces should remain). Press into bottom of pan, ensuring that there are no gaps.
4. Pour filling over crust and freeze for at least 2 hours or until firm in the centre This dessert can be made ahead and kept in the freezer for up to 1 month.
5. When you are ready to serve, remove from freezer and set aside to thaw for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove pan sides and slice. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
6. To check if the cake is frozen all the way through, insert a tester such as a wooden skewer or toothpick. If it comes out clean, then the cake is ready to be thawed.
The nice thing about this cake, no need for guilt! We could even consider being a healthy treat! So enjoy this nutty coconut tasting cake!