Who doesn’t like a good carrot cake? Every time a have extra carrots in the fridge and have no clue what do to with them, I make this cake.
The American way to make carrot cake is a little different from the Brazilian. I love both versions, but this time I decided to make the Brazilian one. I got this recipe from my husband’s grandmother.
In Brazil, people usually make chocolate glaze and put it on the carrot cake. There are two versions of the glaze too: a soft and smooth one, and other one that is more firm. I chose the second option, but both are really good.
You will need:
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar (I used unrefined sucanat sugar, to make it more healthy. If you prefer very sweet desserts, go with the granulated white sugar)
- 1 cup vegetable oil (You can use coconut oil too)
- 2 large carrots
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 7 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 7 tbsp. granulated sugar (I put 4 tbsp of white sugar and 4 of sucanat)
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Grate the carrots.
3. Put the eggs, sugar, oil and grated carrots in a blender and mix the ingredients very well.
4. In a bowl, put the flour and the baking powder; mix it well. Then, put the blender mix in the bowl and combine well all the ingredients.
5. Pour batter into a cake pan greased with butter and bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out dry.
Now, the chocolate glaze! I’m sorry I didn’t take pictures of the process, I was by myself at home and couldn’t make the glaze and take pics at the same time. But it’s pretty easy to make:
1. Combine all the ingredients in a sauce pan. Keep stirring until a thick and creamy glaze is formed. Be patient, you’ll stir it for about 10 minutes. It’s a great arm exercise though!
With a fork, poke holes on the top of the cake. Now, you just need to pour the glaze over the carrot cake, and ta-dah:
Yummy and fluffy carrot cake. The chocolate glaze gives this cake a special touch. Believe me, carrots & chocolate make a great combination!