A couple of weeks ago I bought a simple and cheap media storage at Walmart, since we needed to find a way to organize games, DVDs and books. I just used “cheap” and “Walmart” in the same sentence so, yes, the quality is not so good. Although it’s good enough for now, when I opened the box, I thought it was very generic and blend. So I decided to do something to make it a little bit more unique.
First I assembled the shelves. Then I had to put the “back” of the media storage, the “background”. Like I said, it was cheap, so it was a very thin piece of wood, like a MDF board. So I had the idea to cover this board with a fabric, so my unit’s background would have a nice look. I’ll show you how I did it:
- MDF board
- Piece of fabric
- Spray adhesive
1. First I measured the fabric and cut it. I didn’t worry that much with measurements while I was cutting, because in the end I would have the chance to trim the excess of fabric.
2. Now I just sprayed the adhesive until the middle of the board.
2. And I pressed the fabric against the board, making sure it doesn’t have any wrinkles. I went until the middle of the board, pressing very well.
3. I used more spray adhesive until the top of the board and pressed the rest of the remaining fabric.
4. Trimming the excess of fabric
5. After the board was covered, I pinned it down to the back of the shelves. Here’s the result:
I wanted a more colorful background, but I just had this fabric in hands that day.
I put the unit close to my new study spot. I’m sorry about the quality of the picture (or the lack of it), it was dark and this room has poor lighting. Now I’m planning on buying wall shelves to storage my books. I think this one and this would look very nice.
Hope you enjoyed this tip! And remember: there’s always a way to give generic things a fun and unique look. 🙂