When I was a kid, I remember eating cornmeal cake every time I was at my best friend’s house on the weekends. Her mother used to make a delicious and creamy cornmeal cake, golden outside and moist inside, a very common dessert in Brazil. Now, since we are a continent far away from each other, I had to learn how to make this amazing cake.
You may read the recipe and say: “Parmesan cheese? Coconut? This girl must be crazy”. But trust me, it’s a great combination. Some people don’t like cheese in their dessert, but I personally like it (cheesecake I ♥ you) . It breaks the sweetness of the other ingredients, giving the dessert a tender and delicate taste.
This cake is *almost* gluten-free. Just a table spoon of flour is added, I should try to make without any flour someday, must work as well.
Here’s what you’ll need:
– 4 eggs
– 2 ¼ cups of milk
– 2 tbsp. of butter
– 2 cups of granulate sugar (I used sucanat sugar to make it more healthy)
– 1 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
– 1 ½ cups of cornmeal
– ½ cup of coconut flakes
– 1 tbsp. of flour
– 1 tea spoon of baking powder
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F.
2. Put the eggs, milk, butter and sugar in a blender and mix well.
3. In a bowl, combine the shatteredparmesan cheese, cornmeal, flour and coconut flakes and mix everything.
4. Add this mixture in the blender and mix it very well.
5. Your mixture is going to be very liquid. Don’t freak out, this is the right consistency, the cake is very moist inside. Add the baking powder and mix one more time. Pour it into a buttered and floured cake pan.
6. Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
7. After it’s done, let it cool down, cut into squares and powder it with cinnamon and sugar (optional).
And, voilà! Creamy and delicious cake.
Give this Brazilian traditional cake a try 😉